There are a few tricks that I have found really make a difference in my paleo life, one being armed with condiments in the fridge, especially when I’m cooking and need to add an injection for flavour into a dish. Pesto is one of those that I consider an essential in the fridge, and store bought ones usually contain sunflower oil, which as you know is a big NO on a paleo/primal diet. Homemade is the not only really tasty, but making it yourself you will be in control of the quality of ingredients, plus pesto can be made pretty much with any herbs that take your fancy.
This pesto, does contain parmesan, as we still have small amounts of cheese in a few dishes, something we started having in the last year as none of us are intolerant and we do just love a little cheese every now and then.
Roast the peppers and garlic whilst cooking dinner so as not to run the oven twice, and leave to cool before removing the outer skin, add all the ingredients together and blitz in a blender, really simple and great to just have in the fridge for adding to stews, sauces or directly onto zoodles for a last minute whip up meal after running the kids around all day.
- 3 red, orange or yellow peppers
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coriander
- pinch himalayan salt
- Peel the garlic, and deseed the peppers, the cut into 1/4 chunks
- Lay them both out on an oven pan and dry roast for 45min or until the outer skin is burnt and bubbly
- Leave them to cool thoroughly, peel off the burn outer skin
- Add all the ingredients together in a blender and blend well
- Bottle and refrigerate