For me, broccoli is a veg that is really underrated, probably because it so often is served as it comes, which yeah I agree, would definitely make for a really boring side dish.
I have had to learn to make vegetables more appealing for my family, as my pre-paleo kitchen had a huge stash of peas and corn in the freezer, which would then be warmed up with a packet of store bought cream cheese sauce squeezed over….okay I know, and I thought we were healthy!
I have always enjoyed a cheesy sauce on my veg, but if I have to honest, I could not be bothered to make up a whole batch of sauce, especially while I’m busy other things in the kitchen. Somehow Kyra (my youngest daughter) and I managed to create what has turned into a regular and very popular cheesy broccoli dish. Once my broccoli has been cooked, I simply stir in grass-fed butter and cream cheese, with sprinkle of herbal salt, and in seconds an amazing transformation happens to the broccoli, which not only adds a great boost of healthy fats, but makes this into a “go back for seconds” veggie dish.
Once again, this is where I veer off the Paleo track, but the cream cheese could be replaced with coconut cream, I would just suggest maybe adding a little more herbal salt to counteract the slight sweetness from the cream. Cauliflower and leeks also work really well with this method, give it a try….
- 1 large broccoli head or 2 small
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 2 Tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp herbal salt
- Cut the broccoli into small pieces, removing as much of the stalk as possible
- Place in a large microwavable bowl, add a splash of water, cover and microwave for 5 min.
- Remove and stir in the butter, cream cheese and herbal salt.
- Recover and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir and serve
- Add a topping of parmesan before the last micro or pop it under the grill for a few minutes to take it to the next level....