Hello and welcome, I’m Donna the person behind Eighty 20 Nutrition. I’m a wife, a mum of two teenage daughters and a total foodie but not to be confused with a food snob, I just love food and feeding others.
I started my blog over two years ago designing Paleo/low-carb style family recipes. I work with brands using their products to develop into recipes which are then shared on my social media platforms.
I am a regular contributor to Free-From Heaven and Free-From Gluten magazines and I was a small (very small two recipes) contributor to the fantastic South African recipe book by Kath Megaw Real Food, Healthy, Happy Children published by QuiverTree Publications.
I am a certified Primal Health Coach, although I don’t practice as a coach I am available for private consultations – email me if you are interested.
Recently being awarded the first UK Paleo Blogger of Year and runner up for Recipe of the Year is one of biggest personal achievements and so many lessons learned to follow your dreams and never ever accept no for an answer!
A Few Things about Me
- I’m 45 years old, although I feel 22.
- I was born in Zimbabwe, grew up in South Africa now live in Surrey in the UK.
- I oscillate between various types of workouts from Crossfit to Zumba but always seem to go back to main love yoga.
- I’m a Christian.
- I may be African but hate hot weather, give me a fire, chunky blanket and coffee and I’m in heaven!
- I’m dyslexic and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) – I hereby apologise for all the bad spelling and grammar errors ahead of time.
- My dishwasher is my favourite kitchen gadget although it runs 24/7 it never complains!
- I play World of Warcraft in my spare time, I have a really awesome little 110 Shadow Priest called Syrah.
- Yes, I lost a lot of weight from following a Paleo diet but more importantly I gained a huge amount of health and vitality. We stick mainly to a Paleo diet at home, but call on our 80/20 rule when out and about or on holiday.
- I love wine although sadly because of my thyroid issues it’s not great for me so I like to give it up for two months of the year (February and September)
- My youngest daughter Kyra is my health inspiration, click here to read her story
Taking photographs is like breathing to me and I drive my family and friend’s crazy trying to take photographs, memories are just so important to me!
I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and my lenses vary between 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and Nikkor micro
I entered a few pictures into Pink Lady Food Photographer of the Year 2017 and blow me down two were shortlisted and one ended up being in the finals. It was placed third in the bloggers section which was a huge accolade for me as it is one of the most prestigious international food photography competitions.
2018 was a good year for me as I cooked, styled and photographed two recipe books back-to-back for Dr Karen S Lee. The first book Paleo Cooking with your Air fryer was launched at the start of October 2018 and the second Keto Cooking with your Instant Pot is due to launch in Jan 2019.
Another round of entries into Pink Lady 2018 was awarded a 3rd place, which again was an honour and something that I never take for granted and channel back to on bad photography day – yes everyone has them!
I had a fantastic time shooting with N-Photo Magazine (Nikon Official Magazine) for their April issue Pro/Apprentice series where professional photographers work with an appointed apprentice to show them the skills required for food photography.
What others have had to say about me
We love working with Donna, she is very flexible and inventive. Her communications are clear and swift and she is very, very helpful and understood our needs clearly from the word go. We have years of experience working with bloggers and recipe development teams and Donna has been one of the easiest to work with, we highly recommend her to you 🙂 – Chris from Boingg (The Raw Chocolate Company)
Donna has been a wonderful, consistent and reliable source of recipes and inspiration to the readers of Free-From Heaven, with her photography second to none – and this aspect is continually improving.Her diverse range of dishes that she prepares, with a seemingly conveyer-belt regularity, makes her website a go-to for on-trend ideas and of course, delicious treats…Nick Gregory Editor of Free From Heaven and Gluten Free Magazine
I’d love to hear from you, please send me an email or follow me on my different social media platforms
Otherwise, I love receiving comments under my recipes, if you have any questions or changes that you like to make, I’d love to hear from you.