Simple, easy and really quick to make, these leeks are the perfect side dish. Part of the onion family, leeks are an excellent source of Vitamin K, a great prebiotic (provide the right food to encourage the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut), and leeks are also really good for the heart because they contain a flavonoid called kaempferol, so a definite veggie to add into any family diet .
I do find that they cook down quite a bit, so I like to work on a cup per person as a serving, so this works well for 2 servings
Wash and chop the leeks into 5-10cm chunks
I find that leeks are always rather gritty with soil, so once cut, I like to give them a very good wash in water, pushing the centres out a little to get right into the layers to remove any hidden soil.
Drain the water, cover and microwave for 3 minutes.
Once cooked, add grass-fed butter, giving it a good stir to melt and coat all the slices beautifully
Add the cream cheese and again give it a good stir to melt the cheese, then add teaspoon of herbal salt for some flavour
Sprinkle with a touch of grated cheddar to make it really cheesy and creamy, mix well and then either leave it in a warmer to stay hot or heat is up for a minute to melt the cheese when ready to serve.
- 4 small/med leeks
- 1 heaped Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 heaped Tbsp cream cheese
- 1 tsp herbal salt
- handful of grated cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- Wash and slice the leeks in 5-10cm thick slices.
- Place in a microwavable bowl and fill the bowl with water, using your fingers, give the slices another really good clean ensuring that all the soil is removed from between the layers.
- Drain the water, then cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Remove and drain off any excess water.
- Add the butter and stir really well, allowing the butter to melt and coat the slices well.
- Add the cream cheese and herbal salt and again, give it a good stir.
- Sprinkle with a touch of grated cheese and either set aside to be reheated once the main is ready, or keep warm in a warming drawer or oven.