When I was growing up my dad was seldom home, being a cargo airline pilot he could be either on a scheduled flight or on stand-by for a last minute call out. His trips would be for a few nights, weeks or even a month at a time. In general I was okay with him not being around because I did not know life any other way, but when I really battled most was when he was home for a period and we would have his full undivided attention then he could disappear on an unscheduled flight….so to counteract his leaving my mum would whip up a batch of dip or guacamole and my brother and I would seek comfort in a big bag of crisps and an assortment of dips. To this day, my comfort food is crisps and dip, which as we all know is not exactly the healthiest meal on the planet.
One of the biggest sacrifices I made turning Primal was to give up my much loved bag of crisps, which I still crave on a regular basis even after all these years…. it just shows the addictive power of all those flavourings, preservatives and general crap that processed crisps contain. Being a dipper I still need to satisfy the urge, so what better way than a healthy seeded cracker made with a combination of sweet potato, seeds and good clean flavourings.
Start by adding 1 cup of chopped sweet potato to 2 cups of water
Cover and microwave for 8 min until soft
Whilst the sweet potato is cooking, mix all the dry ingredients together
Once the sweet potato is finished, pour the hot water into the seed mixture and stir it together, then leave it to stand
In a stick blender bowl using the S blade (or use a nutribullet just hold back some water to help blend) combine coconut oil and the sweet potato
Blend it until it is really smooth, baby food smooth
Add it to the the seed mixture
and mix it well, it will feel rather sticky and gooey.
Spread it evenly over two baking trays, using either a silicon mat or grease proof baking paper, and bake for 40-45min, swapping trays halfway to ensure even cooking
Remove them from the oven and leave to cool. Once cooled break into chunks and store in a Tupperware container.
- 1 cup chopped sweet potato
- 2 cups water
- 200g brown linseed
- 100g pumpkin seeds
- 100g sesame seeds
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp psyillium husk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Harissa spice or any spice blend that you like
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 160º
- In an microwave bowl add the sweet potato and water, cover and micro for 8 min on high (sweet potato should be very soft when finished)
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the seeds and spices and mix well.
- Once the sweet potato is cooked pour the water over the seed mixture, stir well and leave to stand.
- Blend the sweet potato and coconut oil until very smooth (baby food smooth).
- Stir the sweet potato into the seed mixture.
- Spread the mixture as thinly as possible over two baking trays lined with either silicon mats or grease proof baking paper.
- Bake for 40-45min swapping the trays during baking to allow even cooking.
- Once golden and crisp, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Break into pieces and enjoy with your favourite dip.
- Store in an airtight container