I find I’m generally a one or two trick pony when it comes to making soup, its either butternut soup or cauliflower and I seldom digress from this well loved plan. This weekend after a trip into town and forage through the local veggie market, I decided to push my soup making skills to try out beetroot.
Having a tub of homemade bone broth in the fridge, I purchased my beetroot and headed home to seize the moment and make some bright pink soup. I have to say, I think I officially have a new favourite soup. Earthy, sweet and creamy this soup not only looks utterly gorgeous but packs a punch of flavour and nutrients. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 medium beetroot
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 - 1 1.2 cups of bonebroth - homemade or bought (Ossa or Borough Broth Co. are my choice) OR vegetable stock if vegan or vegetarian
- 200g chestnut puree
- 160ml coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Peel and quarter the beetroot.
- In a roasting dish cover the the beetroot with avocado oil and balsamic vinegar and roast for about 30 min or until soft.
- Once soft, transfer the beetroot and all the juices and sediment to a saucepan and add the bone broth and chestnut puree, then leave to gently boil for about 20min.
- Blend the soup with an immersion stick blender and stir through the coconut cream.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.