Although I consider myself “paleo” I have to admit that I’m also human. This means that on occasions I have to cut the proverbial corners when it comes to meal prep and rely on the Free From isle of my local supermarkets. Now, the idea of whipping up a quick pesto sounds very romantic but if you are like me, I seldom have the ingredients just lying around waiting to be churned into a gorgeous paste, which is why I always have a stash of Sacla’ – Free From Basil or Tomato Pesto on hand to boost a dish.
I really love this product because not only is it gluten, dairy and wheat free but it actually tastes really flavoursome unlike so many free from products available at the moment. It makes meals so easy, just stir through a bowl of spiralised veggies or add to a stew when in a rush or low on ingredients.
A few days ago I ran a on poll on my Instagram stories, basil or tomato
84% voted for basil, personally I would have gone for tomato… but basil it was!
In this particular recipe, I added raw apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil to a jar of basil pesto making a basting for roast chicken…utterly heavenly and so moreish – make extra because they will defiantly come back for seconds!! The root vegetables were from my local farm store and they were simply cleaned down really well (I did not even peel them) and used as a base for the chicken, they were also doused with pesto basting and then the whole lot was baked for about an hour and a half.
Very little prep involved to create a really tasty and delicious meal!
We are a family business and our story began over 75 years ago in Piedmont, the gastronomic heart and garden of Northern Italy. Inspired by the bounty of amazing vegetables, fruits & herbs growing on their doorstep
Italian food is a way of life for us. We love nothing more than sitting around the table with our friends and family, discussing the day’s events and sharing plates of fresh, home-cooked Italian food.
We are on a mission to transform your food life, from the busy supermarket trip to the satisfied faces around your dinner table. Our products will bring the taste of Italy to your kitchen and table and our recipes will help provide the inspiration for you to create your own Italian classics at home.
Sacla’ pesto is available from the Free From aisle in most supermarkets or from their online store here
- 1 x 1.5kgfree-range chicken
- bunch of small carrots
- bunch of beetroot
- 1 red onion - chunky chopped
- 1 bulb of garlic - chopped sliced through the centre horizontally
- 1 lemon - quartered
- bunch of rosemary and thyme tied with string
- 1 jar Sacla' Free-From Basil Pesto
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 raw apple cider vinegar
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it, to let it come up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to either 240ºC/475ºF/gas9
- Wash the vegetables really well ensuring that not gritty bits of dirt are left behind (nobody likes grit in their veggies)
- Pile the vegetables, garlic and lemon into a roasting pan.
- Insert the bunch of herbs into the chicken cavity.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Combine all of the basting ingredients together and mix well.
- Liberally baste the chicken adding generous drizzles over the veggies.
- Place the chicken in the oven and immediately turn down the temperature to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Cook for 1 hour and 30min or until ready (it should pull apart easily).
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the veg looks ready then remove them and keep them aside to add back to warm through before serving.