Creamy mayonnaise, once a guilty indulgence, now a staple on many of my family meals, and to think, for so many years I deprived myself of these little pleasures! Now, I like nothing better than to add a dollop of mayo onto my food, or to mix into an egg or tuna salad.
When we finally got our heads around eating fat, mayo was probably the first thing I dived into learning how to make, my first attempt turned out relatively well, and I was actually rather proud of the fact that I had just managed to whip it up myself, certainly something that would never have crossed my mind before. I have since tweaked and worked out the simplest and easiest way to make the perfect mayonnaise, and trust me once you have made this, you will never buy it from a store again, especially if you think that store mayo has a shelf life up to a year!!
I make it using my immersion blender and the measuring jug that it came with, adding all the ingredients at the same time and then blending, the whole process takes less than 2 minutes.
Once it is ready I bottle and keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks, I have been known to stretch it up to three week (blush) but it is generally finished before we run the risk of it going off.
Use the very best quality eggs you can possibly afford to buy
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar/apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp mustard paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- few drops of chilli or chipotle sauce
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1/2 cup avocado oil/liquid coconut oil
- Put all the ingredients, except the oil, into a blender jug.
- Gently place the blender head directly over the egg yolks.
- Pour the oil around the blender head.
- Start the blender, standing the blender straight up - don't move it at all, just start it!
- Once the emulsion starts, very gently move the blender from side to side to allow the oil to move into spaces.
- Slowly start to bring your blender up towards the top of the emulsion allowing for all the oil to blended in.
- Bottle and store in the fridge