I had never really been a big fan of raw onion, until recently I have since really grown to love them, especially pickled. Eating pickled onions is incredibly good for the gut, because onion is known as a prebiotic.
We all know about probiotics which are the good little bacteria that work really hard in our gut to keep everything working smoothy….well prebiotics feed and boost the probiotics making for a really healthy and happy tummy- for more info on prebiotics read this link. Throw in kombucha, turmeric and ginger all makes for a very happy and healthy gut.
These onions are just fantastic served on a grilled grass-fed steak, with a chunk of cheese, on your eggs for breakfast or as a topping on a salad.
My favourite thing is seeing mother nature work her magic with the spectacular colours, the colour in these photos have not been enhanced, this is actually how it looks, breathe taking right?!
Bottled in pretty jar, they also make a fabulous gift, just a thought……
- 3 red onions – thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup flavoured or original kombucha - buy a bottle from any health shop
- a small chunk of fresh ginger-grated
- a small chunk of fresh turmeric-grated
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli (optional)
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- a few sprigs of fresh rosemary for bottling
- Slice the onions into rings with a mandolin slicer.
- Mix together the other ingredients except the rosemary.
- Blanch the onions for 1 minute in boiling water.
- Transfer the onions into a jar and top with the vinegar mixture.
- Leave to rest for 1 hour then transfer to the fridge for storage.