Being a busy mum, I have a million things that need to be done and normally all at the same time, so multitasking is definitely a required skill. Cooking whilst arranging the laundry or cleaning whilst listening to podcasts are just a few of the many, so I guess it makes sense that I prefer my food to multitask as well, right?!
The idea is to be nutritious yet delicious, and this is purely for selfish reasons and not because I want to be SuperMom who just gets everything right and spot on with the family. Rather it is because I just want my kids to eat the food I make!!! Nothing glorified here but let’s be real, there is nothing more soul destroying than making a meal and the kids look at it (without even tasting it) and say “I don’t like it” or my personal favourite “I don’t feel hungry”!
As winter approaches, there really is nothing better than a cup of hot chocolate that is not only really nutritious but also really yummy. I have to say that this hot choc hits the nail on the head, but be warned it IS decadent, especially for little ones where only a small cup is needed as it really rich and will fill a tummy up fast. For Dad, he may need a touch more though!
Combine all the ingredients in a cup and blend at high speed.
Here’s a little tip, use these chocolate chips, they are a delicious and pure dark chocolate.
Transfer the mixture to a pot on the stove.
Using a whisk, keep stirring over a medium heat.
When ready it will obviously be nice and warm but will be silky and shiny. Pour into serving glasses and enjoy.
- 1 tin of coconut milk (400g)
- 1/2 cup nut milk (or more if you prefer it thinner)
- 3 Tbsp organic cacao powder
- 50g 70% or higher dark chocolate pieces
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- In a high speed blender, blend all the ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and place it on the stove over a medium heat.
- Using a whisk, stir until the mixture is hot, thickened and deliciously smooth. All of the chocolate pieces should be entirely melted.
- If you dare, serve with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and grated dark chocolate