Who wants boring mash potatoes when they can have this caulimash instead?! It is smooth, creamy and so tasty, you will never know that the boring old white potato has been ditched for the new girl in town, Miss Cauliflower!
The secret to mastering the perfect texture and creaminess is to cook the cauliflower until it is really soft and loads of delicious grass-fed butter. If you are dairy intolerant then use ghee or coconut butter but for me butter is the best option for a really creamy tasty mash. As I mentioned, cooking is really important because if the cauliflower is not really soft, it can end up having a slight wasabi mustard taste, which is not particularly pleasant if unexpected (not a great way to convince the kids that this is a better option). Please do taste the cauliflower before mashing it to confirm that it is really soft and does not have any crunch – think baby food soft.
A regular sized cauliflower does not go very far when pureed so the recipe is going to sound like a huge amount of cauliflower but actually for a family of four (especially boys) you will need at least two regular sized cauliflowers, or this mammoth 2kg beast that I used!
An immersion blender is definitely the way to go in terms of pureeing to ensure a really smooth texture, but if a masher is all you have then mash away and work those guns!
Add a few fresh herbs and bacon bits to make a meal
- 1 1/2 - 2 kg fresh cauliflower
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter (Kerrygold) / coconut oil / ghee
- 1 Tbsp herbal salt
- Chop the cauliflower, removing the thick core and transfer to a large pot
- Add enough water to cover the top of the cauliflower and bring to the boil on the stove.
- Boil for about 20-25min until really soft (baby food soft)
- Strain off the water.
- Add the butter and herbal salt
- Using an immersion blender (or a potato masher) blend until smooth and creamy.
- Have a taste you may want more salt
Serves 4 hungry family members!