These are just the prettiest egg muffins ever! Really incredibly easy to make, they are perfect for a lazy Sunday morning brunch or even popped in a lunchbox for school or work. Effortless with a whole load of WOW factor. What is probably the most important thing needed for this recipe is either a mandolin slicer or loads of patience to slice the courgette finely.
Having the courgettes sliced thin is essential because once they are arranged, the egg mixture is poured in and it will seep behind and between the slices without needing to move them around. This then allows the egg to puff up around the slices, creating the rose effect.
First things first, grease the pan with melted coconut oil, making sure to get into all the grooves. Doing this obviously helps with getting the cooked muffins out when they are finished, but also helps to stick the courgette slices to the edges when arranging the petals.
Start by adding a few slices on the bottom, then build up around the edges layer by later.
Making sure to overlap them in a petal effect.
I built them up until they can’t really stand upright, they are not packed in tightly at all.
Next, whisk up the egg, remaining coconut oil and spices
Then gently pour the egg mixture over the courgette petals
The egg will seep around the petals, and fill the empty spaces.
I found a couple of radishes in the fridge and sliced them up to add a little extra colour, really not necessary but they do add a lovely colour to the finished product. Pop the muffin tray into the oven for 25min.
There you have it! Glorious egg muffin roses….
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- Melt the coconut oil, then using a brush coat the inside of the muffin pan with coconut oil. Don't worry if there is left over the remains will be mixed into the eggs.
- Arrange the slices of courgette to form flower petals (see above pictures)
- Crack the eggs into a jug and whisk well.
- Add the salt, pepper, turmeric and remaining coconut oil, and mix again.
- Gently pour it over and around the courgette petals.
- Bake in the oven for 25min.
- Once cooked, gently run a spoon around the edge of each muffin and lift them out with care.
- Thinly slice 2 radishes and add them to the petals for a touch of colour.