I love bone broth but if I’m going to be 100% honest with you (I am always honest, sometime maybe a little too….) it really stinks out our house and leaves Derek and the girls gagging, I kid you not! If anyone has every made it at home you will be able to confirm this for me, it really and truly smells like something has gone horribly wrong with the drainage system, enough said!!
On the other hand, the amazing health benefits of it have kept me making it much to it’s unpopularity and my family really just need to suck it up as I’m not about to forgo all that collagen, L-glutamine, glycerine and proline for anything! It is fantastic for boosting the immune system especially during the winter season, keeping the skin looking youthful, healthy and glowing, fights inflammation, strengthens bones and helps with weight loss to mention just a few of the benefits. I think you might agree that it is worth keeping around?!
So you can imagine my delight when Ossa Organic contacted me and asked me to create a recipe for them using their incredible packaged bone broth. I did not have to go through the process of making my own, it was simple delivered right to my front door in a smart box. Bonus!!
To my utter delight they sent me a few packets of each of their range and I had free will to choose between beef, chicken or fish as a base for my recipe. I chose to use to fish because not only containing all the major minerals and nutrients of the other flavours, it also is very rich in iodine. I suffer from a thyroid problem and because of this I always try to include natural iodine in diet.
This recipe can be made with any of the other flavours but if you too battle with thyroid issues then have a look at fish broth for a natural boost. Click on this link for a great article on the health benefits of fish broth for thyroid.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC
- Slice the aubergine in half length ways and on the same baking tray season both the aubergine and marrow bones.
- Roast both for 30min turning the bones half way.
- Leave to cool and remove the skins from the aubergines.
- In a large pot on the stove add all of the ingredients and cover and cook on low/medium temperature for an hour.
- Remove the bones and dig out the delicious marrow and return it to soup.
- Blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- Sprinkle with smoked paprika before serving.