Again, this is another recipe that I make specifically to send to school in a lunchbox because it not only is really healthy with great energy providing fats, but also it is nut free so complies with school rules. Quick and easy to make up, they can be made in smaller mini cupcake cases for really little mouths, as they are rather rich so a standard cup case may be bit too big for younger children. Teenagers on the other hand, will definitely want larger ones, certainly in my house, the bigger the better!
Start by softening the coconut butter in warm water
I like to melt my chocolate it the microwave, so I chop it really fine and place it in a glass jug…and get it ready to melt once the coconut cups are ready
Combine the coconut ingredients in a food processor
Blitz it for a few seconds until combined and has a crumb texture
Add a few spoonfuls of mixture and press down with the back of the spoon, compacting the coconut into a hard flat shape
Pop the chocolate into the micro on a medium heat for 30 sec, remove and stir, do this 3 times giving it a good stir between sessions. If there are still a few unmelted chunks, then just stir them until melted as over heating the chocolate could burn it….
Give the chocolate a good stir between heating sessions
Pour about a tablespoon of chocolate on top of each cup, going back and topping up if any is leftover…
I like to add freeze dried raspberries, but either leave plain, or add a fresh berry to each. Transfer to the fridge for 1 hour to harden….
- 1 cup or 200g packet of coconut butter (also known as creamed coconut)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 slab 70% or higher dark chocolate
- Soften the packet of coconut butter warm water
- Finely chop the chocolate and place in a glass bowl or jug and set aside
- Combine the coconut butter, desiccated coconut, vanilla extract and maple syrup together in a blender or food processor.
- Spoon into 8 cupcake cases and press down firmly with the back of the spoon.
- Melt the chocolate in either a microwave or over a pot of boiling water (see pictures for instructions on how to melt in the microwave).
- Pour the chocolate over each coconut cup.
- Top with freeze dried raspberries, fresh berries or a pretty rose petal...or leave plain.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour until hard and set